Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Day in the Glass Studio

I thought you guys might like to see some pictures of our cold shop at the studio I work at. Cold working is pretty important to glass workers. We can grind, cut and polish to do a variety of things.


These pieces were made by my boss in the hotshop. After I cut, grind and polish them they will be for a local University and used as awards. You can see the tops are all broken and I need to cut them to an angle.
 Next I have to cut of the tops with a wet saw. Super important to wear safety glasses! I had to wear a big rubber smock. I swear I looked like Dexter. 
 On to the lap wheel where I have to grind the tops of the vases to an angle and smooth out the coarse cut.
You have to hang on tight when using the wheel. The first time I used the grinding wheel the glass slipped out of my hands and smashed on the wall. Luckily I was the only one in the shop at the time. Scary!
Finally I have to grind the bottoms flat so they stand up nice and straight and not lean forward or backward.

Tomorrow I have to use a finer grit on the wheel then on the the belt sander then a final polish. 
So that was my day! Hope yours was good.

3 comments:

  1. love seeing inside the shop... my daughter works in a studio on the boardwalk in asbury - will have to show her the pics - she is the cold worker there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! Thanks for sharing! I love seeing the cold work process. It looks scary. (I'm scared enough of my torch) but fascinating and enlightening. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That is so cool to see the way you work this glass. It gives me an even greater appreciation for your art.
    Enjoy the day.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete